Remember to Remember the Good Things in Life

“Everything is great,” they keep telling us. 

This is me. This is how I feel. This is me.

There are times when things don’t seem so great. When it’s one of those days, when it seems that everything has gone wrong and nothing could possibly make it worse. Those days. Those seemingly endless days. 

Days turn into weeks and weeks into months. I feel stuck. Nowhere to go, nobody to turn to. 

Doubt settles in. 

My mood is quickly poisoned.

The depression is beginning. 

I want to creep under my covers and lie there, still, very still. No thoughts, no, that would just make things worse. I don’t want to be found. I don’t want to be disturbed. Not today, not now. 

I know I must fight this feeling. I know that there are always good things around me and greater things to come. 

I know this, but right now, I’m too close to see the big picture. Right now it’s all too much. 

I wasn’t always like this. No, I was happy, carefree. What happened? How can I get back to that?

I’m scared.

I don’t want to feel this way. 

Without warning suddenly I’m overcome by feelings. 

I’m useless, just taking up space. I can’t see beyond right now, and I can’t see what will be of me in the future. Will I be okay? 

Before I know it, a landslide of emotions is released and I’m buried underneath it all. 

I don’t know the way out.

I stress, by body tightens. I’m uncomfortable. Insecure. My palms are sweaty and I frantically rub them on my jeans hoping that it’ll stop. 

My breathing becomes difficult.

I’m tense now.

And just like that without warning, I’m overwhelmed.

Days blend together. 

It’s morning again, yet I don’t feel like getting out of bed. I pull the covers closer. The sun is out but somehow it feels like the dark is closing in around me. 

The end is not in sight. The tunnel stretches further than ever, it seems. 

I begin to wonder if it’s this difficult for everybody else or if this is just me. Constantly falling apart. Holding myself together, with tape and glue. I could use another pair of hands to help piece me together. 

I am alone. All alone. It suddenly becomes clearer than ever. 

I will not go down without a fight.

I must fight by remembering. 

I must remember the great things in life. 

Okay, I can do this. It’s alright. I’ll be fine.

Remember to appreciate all of the things in your life that you do have and are grateful for.

Make a point to appreciate the little things as they most often count the most.

It’s the little things that really do count. 

Family. Friends.

Good, I can keep doing this. 

My mind is flooded with so many worries. Worries about money and about things that don’t matter, things that are out of my control. Why do I bother? Why must I be this way.

Everything that has happened, I’m better off. 

I must remember that I still have good things in my life.

I have not one, but two loving puppies who would gladly spend the evening with me. 

I know it seems silly, it does, because it is. I have my humor at least. 

You’re pathetic. 

I’m fighting countless battles within. It’s a wonder why I haven’t yet collapsed. I am weak.

I don’t want to admit it but I’m scared.

The clouds don’t allow me to see past them to the wonderfully bright shining sun.

Keep going. You can beat this. 

This will never work. 

Seriously stop it.

I’m tired.

Why even bother doing this, it won’t help.

I am the way I am. 

I don’t know what to do.

I feel lost. 

I feel empty, alone, dead inside. 

Keep it simple. What are you thankful for?

I have two parents who love me very much.

Good what else?

I had something to eat today 

Perfect, keep going!

I have no solid ground to stand on. 

I feel like my world is crumbling below my feet.

I’m loosing my footing and now I’m tripping and falling. My balance is gone and my face is deep in the ground. I get up coughing up dust as I scramble to regain my balance.

The pain is still there. It feels so raw and empty inside of me and the pain is the only thing that reminds me that I have to keep moving forward. 

I don’t know what to do. I am afraid. Now I am angry at myself for letting myself feel this way. 

No use in complaining about things you can’t change, I know this. But I know if I can’t change the situation no matter how dire, I can still change the way I view the situation and how I let it affect me. 

I’m done. That’s it. No more. 

I will not let this get the best of me. 

If I am to come out of this on the other side I will have to do something about it. No fear, not anymore. Pain yes. Anger yes. But I will use it as fuel to propel me forward until I find that light at the end of the tunnel. It is up to me and nobody else.

When I come out the other side I’ll be stronger than ever. 

Here I am. I exist and I will triumph. 

I’m here. That’s gotta mean something right. There’s gotta be more to life than just this. Right?

I didn’t make it here by chance or by accident. I belong here. 

This is only the beginning. 

I’m gonna make the most of it

I am in control.

I’ll take it day by day. Yes that’s what I’ll do.

Things are looking up. 

All is well. 

No, I won’t allow myself to go back.

Let’s see, what else…

I have a home and  a bed to sleep in.

There is beauty everywhere. I just have to look hard. I have to try. I can’t give up. I won’t. For starters, I have my sight. I have my hearing. I am fully able-bodied. I live in a country where I have the ability to have water pumped straight to my faucet. Running water! I think it’s amazing to actually have running water at any moment throughout the day, ready to be harnessed at any moment. Hot. Cold. Warm. INCREDIBLE. Awesome!

Electricity. I can't imagine my life without it. It is truly incredible. The sunrise and the sunset both so grand and beautiful and amazing but we often forget them and take them for granted.

The simple pleasures in life, those are the best.

If you look and pay attention there is beauty everywhere. Don’t just notice it but value it and appreciate it. Doing so will make it increasingly difficult to feel any other way than grateful, happy, and appreciative. 

The simplest things can bring a huge amount of joy to our lives but we forget these things and we take them for granted.

I’m not poor. I’m rich! I have it all. 

I matter. I’m done hiding. There is still fear. But this is good fear. 

Everything won’t get better overnight. I have to work at it. It’s a process. 

We tend to forget. Let us make a pact to remember. Remember all the good things in life.

I am breathing. I am ALIVE. I am me and for the first time in a long time I don’t want to be someone else. I am happy to be me. Yes! I am happy to be me… I don’t believe it. I don’t want to be anybody else, not anymore! I have what it takes to get ahead. 

I like myself. No, I love myself! 

It won’t happen overnight. It’s an ongoing process. But I’ll win. 

This is me. This is how I feel, but it doesn’t have to be this way. This is me, but I can change, I can grow.