The reason to who I am

For as long memory serves, animals have been an integral part of my life. On numerous occasions they presented challenges that have given me the experience to physically encounter diseases contracted.  For example, when I was only 10 years old, a rabid possum bit one of 5 my cats, believing that my cat was infected, I tended to its wounds by using first aid supplies like bandages and Vaseline. The protection, affection, and unforgettable memories they have given me is a tremendous part of who I am. For this reason, there is a strong bond between animals and I in which it cannot be taken away.

Those prior memories brought strength and awareness in knowing how much an animal can influence a person’s life. Having multiples has given me a chance to interact with both cats and dogs whether they are domestic or wild without being afraid. Many people believe that they pets are like their children because of the bond and time that they have had them, which is how I feel. Caring and protecting them has given me the feeling of being a mother because of the deep feelings I have towards them.

The affection animals can give is a conspicuous amount. The process in which they show a person their affection is unforgettable. For instance, once petting a cat you feel it caressing you with its gentle vibration when it purrs then feeling its heart beating once it lays on you. Or a dog waiting for you to walk in your home, the excitement and enlightenment being brought to you right when you open the door. You don’t feel lonely once you know that they are there for you. Animals may not talk or understand why a person is lonely or depressed but they do have the lovely gift in cheering person up just by licking their hand, looking up at them and then bringing that cheery emotion into the room.

Animals can give more than just affection and memories, they can bring protection into one’s life. Once they have this unbreakable bond with you, they will protect you with their lives. I have two small but grown dogs, they cannot win when fighting with a burglar but just knowing they will risk their lives to protect me gives me such a comfort feeling. Even though they cannot kill a person, their loud barks can warn me when something is wrong. Big or small, tall or skinny, the pets you own will always find a way to protect and alert you if something is wrong.

Having this in mind, veterinary science calls me. Unfortunately, like others, going to veterinary clinics are too expensive which cause some pets to pass away. Having fear is no option to give up on tending to their care. Androcles, from Androcles and the lion, is an inspiration because even though he felt fear he did not let it overcome himself which gave him the strength to help the lion than to run away. Challenging myself every day is what will bring me closer to helping those in need. Knowing that I may not be able to cure all animals does hurt but at least caring and comforting them and their loved ones will make a difference. I wish to show those who love their “children” that I am not different than they are, that their feelings are no different than mine towards our pets.