Premise of Me

Beyond this skin is a soul.

A soul that is more than generic terms like: pretty, cute, and sexy. 

I have a soul that was made by the celestial gods. 

They sang hymns and I came into being. 

They put the glimmer of stars in my eyes. 

They put the strength of the big bang in my endeavors. 

My personality was as vivid as the nebulas that contained colors unseen by this black and white materialist world. 

Why is it that I am judged by my face before I am judged by the brain that is nestled behind it, full with the power to change?

Why are women seen as flesh to fill a size before they are seen as loving souls that spark courage in others? 

I don't wake up with my face plastered with makeup and my hair perfectly swept back. 

I woke up with an appearance that displayed the hardships that landed and placed their flag on my life. 

We are taught to hide our flaws so that we do not run society away.

Society.

The word society comes from a Latin word meaning companion, friend. 

So when did our friend and companion become the very thing to drive us away from being ourselves?

I want my friends to judge me not by the size 2 that I cannot fit in, the hair that will not lay down, or the face that is not perfectly in tune with the Golden Ratio. 

I want them to know that I have a heart that will give to others before it gives to itself. 

I carry people's burdens on my back, as I wander through my own tangled jungle, and hope they get lost along the way.

I go to sleep with them and hope I wake up next to them dead. 

I want them to know that I am their greatest supporter. 

I will lift you above my head while my knees become crippled. 

I want them to know that I love with so much force that it hits you like a train and you are overwhelmed with hope to make it through the pain. 

I am not physically flawless, but my beauty lies beneath the blanket that society has made for me.

My beauty is the richness of my universe given soul.

I am flawless because I recognize that I am more than the words and titles my friend, society, has etched into my skin.

I am flawless because I have a mind, soul, and wisdom that shocked the moons, stars, planets, and galaxies that held stories of the very beginning of time.