One job, One Scholarship, and One Amazing Future

One job can change my life… Coming from a family that greatly values education; I have always possessed a deeply engrained love and passion for learning. After graduating high school, I was fortunate enough to be able to volunteer at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.  This educational and enriching experience opened my eyes to the interesting and exciting world of science. Armed with this newfound curiosity, I enrolled at Purdue University Calumet majoring in Biology with minors in Psychology and Biotechnology.  There, I have been able to further expand my understanding of science through many classes, labs, and research opportunities.  While I have learned a great deal from each of these fantastic experiences, I feel a strong yearning to challenge myself even more.

With a mother who teaches children with special needs, my exposure to people with Autism began early.  Growing up with many of these families, I witnessed the many emotional, physical, and financial hardships Autism can create.  As a child, walking for Autism was the only way I could help to make a difference.  While I still walk in the hope for a cure, I realize now that I can do so much more as a scientist.  This scholarship would not only allow me to continue my quest for knowledge, but it would also help to prepare me for the next steps in my educational journey. This education can allow me to finish my true life’s goal of obtaining a research job at the Center for Disease Control (CDC.) Here I will be able to not only change my life, but the lives of many others by combating some of humanities most deadly diseases. One scholarship, one job and one amazing future. This is how one job can change my life.