No Filter Scholarship Slam

Locations

77045

The right lighting,

the perfect filter,

the fake, pageant smile or duck face,

the anxious wait of the likes to appear.

We are a society that determines beauty on the amount of strangers who double tap our square selfie.

I say, “no more.”

The authenticity of the relaxed smile, the quick snap of a contagious laugh, the Codiac crinkles forming by the corners of the eyes-- indicating pure happiness.

Not the dead windows of the soul portraying the real form of sadness-- a fake happiness.

Only posting the picture for the Instagram challenge ranging from yearning to be someone’s “Woman Crush Wednesday” or our own “Selfie Sunday.”

I say “no more.”

The rules of social media should not control when we post a picture.

I say “no more.”

The most beautiful picture is the candid selfies.

Where loved one captures your gaze out of the window,

your loud, joyful giggles,

your off-guard stare while observing a beautiful view-- whether it is of a sunset or just admiring the simplicity of the world.

I say, “no more.”

Why as a society we have the preconceived idea that we are only beautiful when we add the shade of colors to mask our imperfections.

Imperfection is spelt “I’m perfection.”

No more should I let the curtain of altering images or the fear of not getting enough “likes” from creepy strangers and admirers make us feel ugly.

No more will I let society force me to change my appearance.

No more will I let the people of this imperfect society judge me on my flaws.

No more will I let others tell me I am not beautiful.

No more should society tell others that they are not perfect with their caption reading

#nofilter

For the most beautiful pictures are the untouched, virgin pixels-- embracing their pureness with

#nofilter