My Summertime Escape (A Ghazal Poem)

When summer comes I get so glad, jump in my Hummer I wish I had

If my family had more cash, maybe if I came from a life where people ask me for an autograph or if my home was next to where waves crash

But no, can you believe I’m from LA? A place people pay through the bone to stay. I take the bus down to Santa Monica Bay

That’s where I get my inspiration to come to class with no hesitation I don’t mind  making a quick dash so one day I can fall asleep while I hear waves crash

You don’t think I dream about something more, don’t you think I’m tired and upset and sore?

I fall asleep with helicopters light flash while some lucky kid my age get’s to hear those pretty waves crash

I know kids who have it even worse, they’ve fallen and can’t get back on the horse

So since they don’t know any better they go down with a splash they never get a chance to prove to the world and to themselves they could get a house where the waves crash

The boardwalk filled with expensive fash-ion

That not even the money in my secret stash in, my closet could buy, I can only dream of where the waves crash

Bummer that it’s an ongoing tape. Some kids don’t get to see the light of day,

Because all they know is here where the paycheck is never near enough and they’ll never get to hear the waves crash

I sit and watch people achieve and get rich, while I’m stuck at the bottom of the ditch

I try everyday to work hard because one day I too wish to see those waves crash

Sitting from my window in a glorious house, drinking wine down wearing a million dollar blouse

I won’t need a sash that says “I made it” it’ll be obvious when I move to my house where the waves crash

So as I walk down the bay and down fall the suns rays

I escape once a year, to take in the smash, of where the waves crash