My Heart

Is not a vessel residing in my sternum

Nor a conglomeration of tissue pumping the red liquid of life into my veins

But rather, it is a living entity, born from the bonds of friendship

Constructed by companionship, pulsating with the fervor of fellowship and beating by the hands

of love

Its contents are composed of loving memories of days past and moments that seemed to last

forever

There have been times when it would seem that this heart would succmb to cardiac arrest

But it survived those tedious trials and difficult tests brought on by the complexities that is human conflict

Instead and grew ever stronger, each thump more profound than the last, a pulse constant and 

steadfast

No X-ray can measure the size and no heart surgeon can divulge its secrets

No, this is a special heart. One that no longer rests within me

I left it back there, a place that I had thought I moved on from

While I live on and build a new life, lamenting at our separation, my heart is safe and continues to beat feverently

Anxiously awaiting the day that I can reunite with it joyously

Because no matter how far I go, or where I deicide to make my abode

Home is where the heart is

And while I know this is to be true, I realize that life has a funny way of changing perception

In this case, throwing new and unique connections in my face, that could compete to take the place of where my heart used to be or forming another one completely

That  would seemingly fill the void and patch up this hole

However, my heart is resiliant and everlasting and no matter what I have been told and no matter how far we may stray

It will never truly be too far away, because a piece of me resides in it

And I will see it again someday

I will bask in their smiles, and take comfort in their company

Making new memories and wishing they would never depart from me

But I know we will follow our own paths, and my heart will once again be separated from me it 

seems

But that isn't really true, for they are my heart, and as long as we live, we will never really be apart

Thus, split apart physically, my heart is still and will always be,

Whole