Like My Dog

Wed, 07/24/2013 - 18:55 -- lhonkpo

It’s 1:15 in the AM.

The family’s asleep, and Mindless Self Indulgence is humming in the background.

My dog’s asleep in an awkward doggy-sleeping position, but I can’t help but want to startle him awake so that I have a nighttime companion.

Times like this – when I’m alone with my thoughts and listlessness – remind me of the depressive periods I’ve had with nothing to do but fill the void with boredom.

The dog is now licking his nose obsessively.

He’s risen, and occupied with untangling himself from the charger cable of my laptop.

After various attempts and failures, he’s freed and has pranced to the hallway.

He’s walked down the hallway, and once again, I’m alone with my thoughts.

Suit & Tie by Justin Timberlake is now filling the void.

At first I hated the song, and used to change the station the moment it started playing.

Now it’s my 1:20AM anthem.

It’s a humid summer night, but I still have my heater buzzing in the background.

If only the air outside these four walls was as nice as it is inside the four walls.

The idea is enough to encourage me to take a nighttime jog…well, walk.

Where would I walk to?

I can’t imagine that it would be any more interesting than my present activity.

The dog has returned, and I heard a door open and close – perhaps I’m not alone, though neither occurrence has provided me with a companion.

Whoever opened the door probably went to get some water.

Something has startled the dog; he circled my backpack as if it had bitten him, and proceeded to jump onto my bed, over my legs.

After some pouting at the end of my bed, the dog has nuzzled himself by my side.

It appears that presently, I have a companion – though unable to speak with me.

He’s clearly the silent, nod-along-to-my-problems type so I don’t mind; it just means he’s a good listener.

Linkin Park has replaced JT for my 1:30AM jam session.

My sister has ventured outside of her room, and wandered into mine searching for the Tostitos I previously had.

Defeated and unable to find them, she departs to get ready for bed.

Soon the dog will remain my companion.

He’s returned to his obsessive licking, and my sister has retreated to bed once more.

And in an adorable display of sparling himself out on my bed with his side pressed against mine, the dog suggests I end my night and drift to sleep.

It’s 1:35am as I shut the computer, rise to turn off the overhead light, and attempt to drift to sleep.

It appears that the dog has beaten me to it.