My Brother and Me

I remember it like yesterday. It's plastered in my mind. 

The awful things that happened before our very eyes. 

The day starteed off peaceful as we were sitting in a tree. It was just the two of us; my brother and me.

From where we were sitting, we could oversee a lot. Everything was fine until we heard gunshots.

We saw our people scrambling to the first sign of relief, only to be dragged in by the white man's "leash".

Jumping down from where I was to see if momma was okay,

The white man's hand firmly pressed around my neck, I understood my fate.

As little brothers do, Nahuel followed me and got caught too. 

Practically dragging me by my neck 'till I struggled for air. He took his finger, pointed us towards a ship, and demanded, "Get over there!"

As petrified aw we were, we did what we were told. No fuss!

We were brought to a line where I heard screaming and smelled burning: They were gonna brand us!

While waiting all I could do was think about how fast all of this had happened.

Occupying myself, I allowed my toes to feel and rub over a piece a bread that was flattened.

Deoxygenated, it seems this piece of bread went through the worst.

Knowing that we too will soon feel the same, I mushed the bread further and further into the dirt.

The shorter the line became, the more weary I got. I knew that if I was to run away that I would get shot.

No time to think about that, for I was up next. I couldn't bear imagining the pain, so I closed my eyes as the branding iron was placed abruptly upon my neck.

Unable to control myself, a loud scream slipped from my throat. I felt my brothers pain as I headed for the boat. 

As I was shoved onto the boat, I realized that it was almost impossible to fit. Looking back at the white ma, he shouted at me, "NIGGER, SIT!"

I blinked back tears as I watched him put what felt like 30,000 pound shackles on me.

As Nahuel came, the white man did the same, then I watched him leave.

Looking up at me, Nahuel started to cry. I wanted to do the same, but instead I did what momma would do: I gave him comfort. I don't know why.

For we weren't the only kids packed tightly on the ship.

Looking around, I could see that none of our friends managed to escape. They took the whole tribe and we barely fit.

Rumor had it that the adults were in the lower part of the ship, meaning momma had to be in the "den". Though we weren't able to find out until our feet touched land again.

The whole "trip" was uncomfortable. I was kind of pleased to get out of there.

Little did I know, this was the beginning of my terror.