My Blackness

My skin is brown so you call me blackThey aint happy when it’s nappy, ain't that a factYou claim my brothers are hoodlums and hoodrats You judge us because of our choice of words and tatsWhen you see us you grab your pocket and bring your wife and kids just a little bit closerWe reach for our wallets and because we’re black you see a gun holsterPOP POP POP POP“Black man down”I don’t know if it’s the race or the police causing chaos in these towns“Excuse me 911, please help my car broke down”“Oh boy let's take care of this clown” “Hey officer-”“Put your Hands up!” “Oh man he looks like a bad guy..He's big, mad, and black, he deserves to die”Hundreds of young kings and queens now sharing space with the starsWe are no Simba's, there is no sunlight that hits the land that will one day be oursAll this wrong-doing and we still can't uniteNah, nah I know this thing won't just happen overnightWe are all different people with different fightsUncle Ruckuses causing ruckus and mayhemThen you have the patriots praising uncle samThen you have the “All Lives Matter” movement for the folks who refuse to have a black person mean more then themExcuse my harsh words But I can't come at this issue timidly I’m trying to spread the word you see? I am a young black womanWith beliefs that could get me killed in the 21st century Don't that give you the chills? I get followed around stores because my blackness gives the people invisible rashes and sores My very politically incorrect presence makes them uncomfortable They want to protect anything they have around me“KKKill this thing, this black monkey beast, this, this, Queen”You see royalty and you get scared, a fear that can't be barred,Well you better grizzly up I ain’t going anywhere I stand strong with my feet plantedChin up and shoulders squared Proud of my Brown skin the good Lord put me inYup, it might get me slug around Yup, might get me shot in the back to the groundBut hey that's why every night i pray that these people look Through my skinAnd see that we are all the same on the inside SoHATE WILL NOT WINIt will try to take over It sinks slowly in your skinAnd as your true self hops outHate hops right in Self destruction comes into play You will know at that time and on that dayThat you were wrong For so longMy blackness DOES NOT DEFINE MEIt does not speakIt does not bleed From each pore What I will come out NOT TO BEYes I can,I can do whatever I put my mind toI might have to work twice as hard but that'sSomething I ain't afraid to do Yes, I'm blackNo ain’t nothing wrong with thatNo, I do not mean to offendWhy? Because hate won't winI look at the police officer and smile I refuse to let few define allThat would be taking a 10th of an inch and turning it into a mile I speak my mind because I am freeOr maybe that's the young Nigerian princess soul inside of meSome say go back to Africa boy, I wish I couldAnd if Trump wins this election I probably should Listen young and oldI do not speak my mind because I am boldI do so because I am freeThere are people in this world who need to see me In action I want to get my point across once againPeople were made free, we should love each other and treat each other equallyI'll say it now because I said it then COME TOGETHER PEOPLE BECAUSE HATE WON'T WINDon't Let my blackness intimidate you, because believe me I'm in just as much danger, you silly fool.~Young Angelou~