The More You Know

My feet are what I would stare at when it came time to explain why I failed another test. What was I gonna say? Was I supposed to say I was "Dumb"? I knew she expected very little of all the black kids she taught, but what if I told her the truth. I tapped my foot like a clock on a wall. The rhythmic tap was much more comforting than the eyes filled with judgment. I knew that she didn't want to hear the truth, because why would she. Truth was I stayed up late cleaning up a house and watching after 4 siblings while my mother worked overtime. Truth is in a family like ours being poor is the norm, and maybe for someone with a nice whip and harsh eyes wouldn't understand that studying was not on my mind. My feet tapped faster when I heard my mom's footsteps. I could feel the disappointment seething from her so I avoided her eyes too. I already knew what Id see. The same brown eyes that really needed rest and filled with sadness, because the title of a single mom was not what she ever pictured. I always wondered why the ones who were dealt the bad hand are the ones who know how to work the hardest. “Destiny has failed another test". Failed. Failed. Failed. That's all that replayed in my head that day. It wouldn't leave me alone tormenting me. I was not dumb. No no I was just never understood.