Life Is a Trial: A Sestina Poem

It feels like forever I have held this in my heart.

This story of sadness, but also pure joy.

A tragedy in which death was the verdict.  

Where one chose to take his own life

and decide to end his suffering, finishing the last chapter of his final trial.

I need to tell the story of Mr. Hanson, my Coach.

Mr. Hanson was a pure, dedicated, and kind Coach.

His amiable personality came from his benevolent heart,

and that benevolence was shared through mock trial.

Devoted to the law and art of acting, Coach expressed pure joy

when he taught us, and we all knew this was his sole purpose in life.

So, when we heard of his choice in passing, we could not believe he made such a verdict.

I remember when I received news of his heart-wrenching verdict,

my eyes tearing up and hands shaking when I read the text confirming the death of Coach.

The shock coursing through my veins was enough for me to question my own life.

Why must I continue experiencing happiness when I know another is without their heart?

After much reflection, I knew I must continue pressing on because I need to show others life’s joy.

I need to share his story with those who feel like the world wants to put their lives on trial.

Navigation isn’t easy, and there are ones in this world that only see the errors in a life of trial.

They find themselves on replay, convinced their mind, as the jury, has determined the afterlife as their ultimate verdict.

They cannot seem to find anything that brings them joy,

which is why I am truly saddened by the circumstances that surrounded the death of Coach.

But by building up the confidence of others, I hope to help students, once again, embrace their souls and hearts.

By sharing subtle smiles and soft words of encouragement, I hope I inspire more than one life.

To help prevent more grief and death, I have chosen to start making a difference in my own life.

I have chosen to pay it forward by making my mark where Coach Hanson won’t be able to in mock trial.

I have chosen to dedicate my time to the team he built and pour into it all of my heart.

With my time and commitment, I will be able to support my future coach so he will won’t feel pressured into deciding on such a difficult verdict

that clouded the thoughts of my talented, extraordinary, and faithful Coach.

I am determined to engulf my team, friends, and people alike in constant well-being and joy.

The testing of your faith produces perseverance, so consider that pure joy.

You don’t have to live forever, you just have to live; don’t be afraid of death, be afraid of an unlived life.

Life is a test and this world a place of trial.

You are your own judge, what is up to you is your own verdict.

Beauty is not in your successes and accomplishments, it is a light in your heart.

To me, my team, and the rest of the world struggling through life, I know these words would have come from the depths of Coach.

I now feel a sense of joy for opening of my heart

and sharing the story of the wonderful life Mr. Hanson led, despite death calling on him to make such a heart-heavy verdict.  

Coach’s story will never be forgotten, and his legacy will continue until the ends of time in mock trial.