Letter to my younger self:

To Angela,

Where do I even start… You will grow into a beautiful young black queen even if you don't see it right now. Continue to ignore those kids that talk about your nose or how tall you are, those will be the things that people will love about you most. Stop trying to fight being different, stand out and be noticed. That fear of public speaking will fade and ironically, your words will be the teachers to many. What you say will be important. When you get to high school, remember not to judge, we are all in a stage of misguidance and are learning what we truly believe in. What you will struggle with most is family and identity but no matter how you are treated, do not let that alter your sincerity and willingness to love unconditionally, even if it is never reciprocated. You will wear your heart on your sleeve until the day you live this earth, even if you wish you didn't care so much. You will come to realize that it is a part of who you are. You will master the art of forgiveness when it comes to your parents because you will soon find out that there is no handbook on how to raise a child and that even though you are conditioned to see them as heroes, they are imperfect human beings just like anyone else. Love them anyway. You will go to college and learn even more about people and relationships. You will meet the most amazing people that will probably be the bridal party in your wedding! You will fall in love with a boy like you never thought you would and he will show you beauty. He will teach you about simplicity and patience and how to give and receive love that causes healing. You will have your ups and downs but you will always come right back to each other. Keep him close to you. You will struggle to find your purpose in life. You will go back and forth MILLIONS of times about what you want to do and that whole science thing will go out the window. You will learn to love to write and to inspire. You will also stop saying "I've always wanted to do" something and actually start going after those things. The conditioned mind you have now will disappear and you will begin to structure your own life despite anyone else's thoughts. You will still struggle with little insecurities but you will learn day to day to love yourself as you are. You are still a tom-boy and love to hang with the guys but you will barely recognize yourself… in a good way. Most of all, You will want to give up time and time again but you will understand that you have a significant role on this earth and you will need to fulfill it. This journey is not for just you but you are living to tell others your story. Make it worthwhile. You are amazing! I love you always.

Angela.