On Inspirational Bullshyt

Click like if you spend hours click-clacking through psudo-inspirational quotes that have been made into FaceBook photos,
Plastered over meaningless backdrops,
tagged up for likes and shares no one really cares about.
We search through each slide for quotes we say we live by, until we forget and it's onto the next one.
I hear people mockingly repeat the Motto of the "Yolo"
while we forget true awe-inspiring quotes.
Have we forgotten there are more important words to say?
Or are the words we are going to leave behind going to simply be rehashed Lil Wayne lyrics he wrote when he was high?
I see more motovated curiosity fueling things to say on Tumblr. at night,
when everyone is posting their thoughts on half running sleep deprived minds.
Have we dropped our beliefs down to simple phrases on motivational posters,
Our individuality coming from mass produced buttons,
Our logic shortened to fit a bumper sticker?
I don't know about you,
But I'm tired of questionable phrases that can be offensive to anyone.
I want to use my words for something more.
I want to render a city speechless.
Turn a class into a petition,
A crowd into a rally,
Move a nation into a movement.
Jefferson tells me to be so absolutely free that my very existence becomes an act of rebellion.
I want a speech that will be carried through generations;
But unlike Dr. King I want to be there when my dream become a reality.
I'm tired of being the only one in English class to know "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times" was written by Charles Dickens.
I don't want to be the only Austen fan to know that a man in good fortune must be in search of a wife.
Because if your face is a novel waiting to be written,
Then the words you say are the pages you must keep turning.
And be sure it's something worth saying.

rrhodge

I have read a few of your pieces and this one is my favorite.  It really speaks to me.  I agree that we should spend less time searching for quotes on facebook and more time not only exploring more meaningful works, but expressing our own thoughts through writing.  I also like the organization of your poem.  You start off with short, quick lines that pull the reader in.  Then, you end it with such powerful punches like "Jefferson tells me to be so absolutely free that my very existence becomes an act of rebellion".  Brilliant writing.

RebeccaYSPerez

Thank you so much! Ironically, I wrote this one on my phone- I know, shame on me. Do you have a favorite quote that you thought of when reading?

Becca.

Grant-Grey Porter Hawk Guda

Powerful expression. Always let poetry fill your life. Keep expressing your heart.