I Woke Up To America

Wed, 03/29/2017 - 22:14 -- Akezai

I woke up to the acceptance of ignorance and hate

To people telling me to get over the feelings in my blood, the history it carries didn’t matter

I woke up knowing I would not be the oppressor of the oppressed.

I sat in class and listened to the justification of bigotry and discrimination to be told it was my fate

My fate is to sit and not tell anyone that my skin doesn’t matter, my ideas garbage, just a tiny patter

I do not hate my classmates. I say this one again. I do not hate my classmates. But I will not wait.

Until my friends of different fates are crying and suffering in my face. Served up on a silver platter.

I refused to be oppressed, I rather be empowered. To spread love versus the hate.

If I couldn’t agree with all beliefs of those I followed, I would never be scared to speak on the latter.

I rather stand with my humanity intact, I couldn’t ever think of turning my back to  such a debate

One where there shouldn’t be a debate on the sufferings of those,  ignored among the clatter

I now stand awake, even after a swastika was placed upon my door in this dorm a symbol now of hate

I stand, a person of color, of the fluid spectrum of sexuality, and with open eyes that do matter