How to make America great again

I am, but an alien to this “great” land of dreams.

When I was still an outsider I have only seen America in the silver screen. She was bold, she was beautiful and most of all she was green.

With promises of milk and honey, I fell deeply in love with her, not only for her privilege and money but because of what she stands for “freedom and equality”.

So being the frivolous being that I am,

I was sold on her vogue. However, like many women of her discourse she has hidden scares made by time.

They are hideous and tell stories of horrible crimes.

Crimes her people fought till this day.

Crimes of racism, sexism, classism, homophobic, transphobia, xenophobia, and I can go on.

Although we can say, with nonchalance we are no longer lynching black people, treating homosexuality as a mental illness and refusing to educate woman.

Yes be proud, but in the sleepy eyes of an ignorant immigrant, I still see some things that slap me back to reality.

No need to point them out. They’re all over social media, questioning our humanity.

The truth is America is not great, it never was.

But she certainly has gotten better. Nonetheless, we shouldn’t settle.

Why should almost perfect be our goal?

With every future generation we are moving forward, fighting the same battles of our ancestors.

Until we break the walls that separate and weaken us.

In conclusion being awake and aware of the issues we are facing is the first step in making   America better than it was yesterday.