Gone Gone So Long

He

He watched her glide on the carpet in  some loaned designer dress.. 

Reclining in the lazy boy beer in the arm rest .

White trash trailer park girl .... gone all Hollywood wearing freshwater pearls .

It had been a minute between Rayleen and Billy Jo .... Her name was Grace Lucas now and there wasn’t a twitch of that twang . Billy Jo was who he was and had always been .  She could have her secrets .... his long gone trailer park Queen .

He had those memories of fireflies in the night . Shooting stars , campfires and young sweet delight . Who could blame a girl for trying hard to make it right ?

It was amazing when she would take the stage . He’d watch the fingers as they worked those guitar strings . He could still feel them as she’d caress his cheek .

Back of the pickup truck  ... down by Springfield creek .

The words that came out went right to his ears .. There were times when they’d sooth each other’s fears . Watching her in that stage felt like she’d been gone for years .

Just the other day there was a text on his phone . She was kinda wondering how he was holding up back home . He’d deleted it just like he’s done before . He couldn’t be a part of it if she wanted to soar .

The beer tasted alright as he switched to a baseball game .

Tammy at the pizza place had broke up with Jerry ... that’s what he’d heard . Maybe that would be worth a try ? He took a smooth long pull and let out a heartbroken

Sigh ...

Surlyduke1@gmail.com

#brownlivesmatter