Dreaming of Dogs

Every night I have a dream. Every night I dream through the eyes of our rescued dogs. Each of them have sad eyes and they all have night terrors. In my dream, I dream that someday, all of our dogs can rest easy and that my sleep will not be haunted by what they have seen. I feel their sadness when I look into their eyes, I see their abuse and wish that everyone could see what I see so that none of the abuse would happen in the first place. I understand what they want: love, loyalty and respect. I understand that they just want a peaceful place to put their head down at night and not have to worry about being beaten. I understand that this seems like such an easy thing to do for them, but that some people do not understand what I understand when I look into their eyes. I feel sad in my dream, but I also have hope. Hope that someday, someway, everyone will see what I see when I look into their eyes.