"The Doctors are 90% Certain It Could be Viral Meningitis" Or Retrograde Amnesia

The waves ebb

against

the white sand of the silent beach of the slowly crumbling island

that is

the keeper of the black cloud, of the blue smoke, of the falling rock of the rumbling volcano

that is

by silent introspection, by careful contemplation, by heredity, by necessity, by deepest regret

named:

Mt. Silence, Mt. Introversion, Mt. Strength, Mt. Recluse, Mt. She-thinks-she’s-better-than-us, Mt. Bite-your-nails-and-pray-that-it-gets-better, Mt. Older-sister, Mt. High-school- requirements, Mt. It-could-maybe-possibly-be-Viral-but-we-can’t-be-sure-until-the-tests-get- back-Meningitis,

The Mountain of Responsibility, The Mountain of Stiff Upper Lips, The Mountain of Straight Faced Silent Strength, The Mountain of A Tiny Six Year Old Who Don’t Understand But Looks To You For Answers, The Mountain of Tears Choked Back In The Girl’s Bathroom, The Mountain of Desperate Choking on Cigar Smoke Hidden In Your Bedroom, The Mountain of DistressedKeeningAsYourInsidesBurnAndYoureHandsTrembleAndTheRedSplotchessofAngerAndFrustrationAndFearSplatOnYourAlreadyBrokenOutFaceAndYouSlouchAndCan’tBringYourselfToFaceTheShowerForFearTheCleansingSoothingDropsWillMakeYouLoseItAndThenYourStrengthAndIdentityWillBeWashedDownTheDrainJustLikeTheFirstWeekOfYourSeniorYearAndYourMother’sMemoryAndAllYouCanThinkAboutThroughTheHazeOfComplexAndImaginaryNumbersAndComparativeSociologicalFunctionsAndConstantApologizingAndSympathyForYourFamilyAndWellWishingIsTheOneThingYou’reMostScaredOf

The Mountain of What.If.She.Never.Remembers?