Destaunia Perry (1999-): Ain’t I Educated?

If education was a crayon and it was up to me to put a wrapper around it and name its color, I know just what I would call it-racial ignorance. Since childhood one thing I knew for a fact, before I knew anything at all, was that I knew I was black, I knew  I was smart, and I knew that made me different. Being different, I would later learn would define who I am.

You see I am a minority, so I have to work twice as hard, to get half the credit. But when it comes to slavery and I vocalize an opinion, I become the angry black woman. And ain’t I educated? I go to school for just as long as everyone else but I’m black, so I’m less qualified. And ain’t I educated? When I open my mouth to speak I’m combating stereotypes that existed long before I was even thought of. I speak black, I speak struggle. I speak less than. And ain’t I educated?

They talk about statistics but they never mention that African American women make up 66% of bachelor degrees, 71% of master degrees, and 65% of doctorates. As one of the most often looked over demographics, usually associated with the terms "illiterate" and "hood rat", we do more than prove that we deserve what we've worked for.

They say women aren't meant to be equal with men, or even have a voice in anything. But wasn't it Eve's words that provoked Adam's action? Isn't Rosa Parks a national icon for black advocacy?

So I ask all students, not just women of color, will you adapt to stereotypes, or have stereotypes adapt to you?

Now Destaunia has said all she had to say. Thank you.