The Canary's Lament

Mon, 12/23/2013 - 14:07 -- OZ

To this day, I know why the caged canary cries, why it cries are filled with hateful melodies. Melodies that causes a torrent of hot tears, the reason for dismal and gloomy attitudes. You see, this once proud, joyfully elegant bird was once among the wonderful free.
            His lovely songs, they filled the azure sky and white clouds with intense passion. Sublime tunes calmed the hearts of man and beast alike. All was peaceful; everything was in complete and total equinox. With his god given wings, the once empyrean canary flew through the sky. Wings began to beat blissfully, effortless allowing the user to be among his own kind.
The sun brimming with heat warmed the very soul of the gracious bird, increasing his joy to an infinite amount. Like lightning, the canary plummeted to the Earth, as did his sweet, sweet joy. His once perfect world was now shattered into millions of insignificant pieces. Dazed and confused, the beautiful golden canary was thrown into a cage, crazed and abused.
In the day, he tried to sing, but his tunes were not the same. The chilly night, the predators of the dark changed the dark songs from sweet compassion to dark despair. Nothing could make him happy anymore. Wings clipped, feet shackled forced the canary to become a bitter terrestrial being. As he hopped around his infernal cage, filled with his hellish rage, his songs became ominous and darker as his time in prison became much longer.
He fluttered his sore, metal bound wings, trying to at least remember how it felt to fly, or at least float. Though his selfish captors fed him, he was fed up with them. Because of them, he lost his beautiful freedom. Looking from the outside in, the fellow canaries pitied their captured brothers. The poor canary looking from the inside out, pitied his brothers. He never truly realized the amount of freedom he used to possess.
It didn’t dawn upon him that he could fly to anyplace in the world. He could have left his meadow, and live somewhere else to avoid this, this dangerous oppression of his god given gift. Trying to think about what he did to deserve such a harsh punishment, the canary had no thoughts. All he ever did was sing and fly. Singing and flying was all he knew, because that was what he was made to do, what he was supposed to do. By singing and flying, he always stayed true to himself.
As time went on, seasons changed every few months. The lone canary suffered through autumn and cruel winter, was unable to suffer through spring and amazing summer. Upon the arrival of summer, the cerulean sky seemed to mock the canary. He could never again feel the sensation of flying; never again feel the wind beneath his wings. His futile dreams to be free from captivity were gone; finally he realized that all hope was gone.
The forsaken bird realized that the cage was a grave, a grave filled with broken dreams of his and numerous other birds that lost their freedom. It was only a matter of time before his own death would arrive. The only thing that was important to him was that to do with the time he had left.
Revenge, he would get his revenge on his oppressors, on the people who forced him to live inside of this wretched cage. The canary, the bitter canary, his final song would be a curse, a warning, a lament. With the arrival of the new morning, the canary opened his beak and began to sing. The people that captured him, they heard the most heavenly melody, as if the muses had created this musical master piece themselves.
But the other canaries, they heard the true message. The message that was filled with intense pain, horrific instability, the shameful oppression. Not the canaries, but the other song birds learned the lesson. The more Notes he sang, the darker the situation seemed to the others.  They began to see life through his eyes inside the cage. They all finally realized his true message. “You must flee to be free, flee if you want to be free!”
As he sang this final song, the lone canary felt rare joy watching the other birds fly. With a grand finish, and the applause of his captors, the canary died. He died so he to could flee, flee to be eternally free. 

OZ

This poem was actually inspired by reading To Kill a Mocking Bird when I was a sophmore in highschool