Caffeinated Dogs and Cats in Libraries

It’s the addictive bitter taste sliding down your throat.

The smell of caffeine, and the burn in your fingers

as you hold the paper cup between numb hands.

The cardboard wrapped around the cup is powerless against the heat.

However, as hot drink slides down your throat, the morning drowsiness dissipates,

and despite the ice covered road, your day starts with a spring in each step, accompanied by a slide of the feet.

Coffee is awesome.

It’s the sound of rain pittering and pattering on the window pane.

It’s the crackle of fire, and the fuzzy touch of a blanket.

It’s the feel of the worn arm chair just close enough to catch the steady waves of heat,

next to the flickering light.

It’s the feel of paper, yellow and crinkled from use, the slight ridges of ink when I run my fingers across the page.

The smell is old, like walking down the old library aisle, but relaxing if you bury your head in the crease of the bindings and take a long whiff.  It smells like home.

Books are awesome.

It’s never quiet when I come home from a long month at school,

The first thing I hear is a murmur, as though he’s just realizing I’m home,

and then there’s the clicking as the other one hears my voice, and skids on the hard wood floor.

The cat is next, his murmurs rising to full blown insistent grumpy meows that demand an explanation for my lateness, and then tell me “never mind, get on with the petting.  You owe me a month’s worth of dinners.”

The dog takes the opportunity my cat provides to jump on me,

except, his tail is wagging so hard he can’t stand on two legs for long, so he goes back down and wags his butt instead.

It’s usually at this point, my cat finally ambles over to me, tail fluffed and waving in a typical cat like greeting, and requests to be lifted to a higher altitude.

Upon being picked up, he stares at me with his remaining blue eye, hugs my arm with his forelegs digging his claws in and promptly falls asleep on my shoulder.

Cats and dogs are awesome.