Barrier

Tue, 03/19/2019 - 21:32 -- Torid7

Panic. Constricting. Its waking up at three in the morning in a cold sweat. Crying for no reason. Gasping for breath. It makes us dread the incoming morning. Keeps us awake at night. It's a shadow following us like a dog at our heels. It's when we hid away in a corner. Cowering from reality. The shadows feed on our fear. They grow. We shrink with every bite they rip from our souls. Stay away. Don't talk to me. Don't look at me. Don't speak to them. They don't care about you. They don't love you. They'll just crush you. The shadows whisper these lies into our ears. We believe them. We believe the lies. They break us. We embrace the darkness because it's all we know. Out of the darkness shines lights. Not just any light, but beautiful, rich, warm light. Light that makes the darkness hiss and run. Warmth that dries our tears. Love. A hand reaches out. It wipes away tears. Embraced in their arms. Sighs of relief. The darkness cannot hurt us here. A mother. A father. A friend. A lover. A pet. A teacher. They surround us. Protect us from the darkness. Build around us a barrier to keep it out. Strength is given. Love is given. At last. The fear is gone. They protect me here.