The American Dream

I don't know what kind of music you listen to you when you're alone

If you live in a white house with a picket fence and two parents in one home

Or if your friend made you laugh so hard at lunch water came out your nose

If you are happy or sad or wearing your sibling's hand me down clothes

But I do know we've been scheduled into this same classroom by a government organization called school

Where education is force fed and we're tested and quizzed on memorization

Not wits and if you're not dressed fresh to death you're not cool

I will see your faces for 100 and 80 days and I know you'll return the gaze with slight ease but we are strangers

I dont know if you're upset  over some guy wearing "what would jesus do?!" bracelet and sagged pants

Or a bogus teacher who judged you based on your expression and never taught a real lesson but even worse never gave you a chance

But it's not just me, we're all under the same roof and all under the same pressure that required learning is the only unwillful path to get better

12 years of my life and I haven't spoken to some of you more than twice and I wonder why we don't know each other

When world media is targeting us as a whole generation to sell

So, we've learned our ABC's and about the Native American siege and about how college professors will be hard to please

But right now I'm more concerned about what we don't know about each other because I've got 2 years to make up for 10 and these 180 days won't come again

T.Wright