All I Need Scholarship Slam

1  We are the unseen

Held underneath

Buried as a team with an empty canteen

With the unknown beneath

Yet to be unleashed

6   We grit our teeth

7  The water, now up to our waist

Around are the vermin called lice  

Food no longer fits our taste

As we surround the mice

Without haste

12  This space must suffice

13 Our rifles first held tight

As flares fly overhead

Grenades thrown with might

We look on  fearless, as we tread

To win the fight  

18  Together we move ahead

19 Our time no start nor end

The chlorine gas escapes

No more air in the bend

We no longer feel the trench shape

Our injuries have no mend

25 We measure our time with a short tape

26 Over the top, We hear

Into “No Man’s Land”

The call we all fear

As dead men we stand

As long as we are near

We shall not fear

The wistful dangers that will bring tears

For all we need is eachother

Analysis: I wrote this poem in the theme of trench warfare and it is in the perspective soldiers. The readers get a glimpse of what it is like inside a trench; the suffocation, uncleansliness, and rodents. I included this because I believed that it helped set the scene of being lost in a desert or stranded because they are trapped from the outside world. The soldiers are fearful for when their commander orders them to go into "No Mans Land" because it is the lend between their trench and the enemies trench. This land is feared because right when you step foot on it, you are in clear view to the enemies and they can easily shoot you. Commanders send a portion of their soldiers there knowing that they will indeed die, but with the hope that they will be able to shoot a few of the enemie soldiers before they are shot to death. They are isolated and trembeling while waiting for the call, the call to their death. And when it comes, they know what awaits them but they have no fear because they have each other and that is all they need.

Going back to the prompt, this poem relates to me and how all I need is my family and friends to help me through hard times, or just to always be with me. And just like the soldiers, how they only need eachother to get them through this dreadful and abandoning time.