The Ugly Duckling and the Unhappy Ending

Once upon a time there was an ugly duckling that was born to a world of criticism and hate. His mother suffered from depression, and his father was never around. Mother took care of the five children including the ugly duckling. His siblings were always posting pictures of him all around town and commenting on every one of his imperfections. The town fed off of the criticism, making him the laughing stock of the town. He wasn't the only one. The rabbits had always been different and considered different from the other animals. The ugly duckling spent most of his time with one of the smaller rabbits, bonding because they felt like outcasts. Expectations flew high not only in the ugly duckling's family but in the way the town wanted each animal to act and look like.

The next year is the year everyone hears about in the happy ending fairytale. The ugly duckling grew into a tall, slender, white swan. He may have looked perfect, but he was still the media's laugh. His feathers weren't perfectly even. They weren't white enough either. He was slender, but not slender enough. Every member of the town had something new to say about his flaws; even the little rabbit that he had called his friend just a year ago. The rabbit was now quite beautiful and very successful and seemed to forget about how he once connected with the ugly duckling. The ugly duckling's mother and father got a divorce and his siblings were on to better things. He took care of his poor mother and felt sympathy towards her because she was now considered as the crazy quack of the town. 

As the ugly duckling grew older the town never stopped gossiping about him, but he learned to accept his flaws. His mother commited suicide a few years later because the only one who loved her was her joke of a son. The town and media had tore her down to the bone. The ugly duckling realized there are no happy endings for people who don't fit in; which, ironically, was just about every animal in town. His only happy ending came from him accepting his flaws despite of the criticism he received his whole life.