The Prince and the Pauper

It was the Westside of the City of Wind. 

The year 1998. The time when the sun still hid shyly behind the moon's dark embrace. 

A fire station. Dawn. 

A mother of two, soon to become a mother of none. 

The basket, the most precious cradle these boys had ever known. A woman distraught that she could give them no home.

The beared flame-chasers rose bewildered and quick. Their plan was calculated, clever and slick. 

The brothers were placed in seperate care- in the homes of two loving families, although income wasn't fair. 

The first brother lived on the northside, with ample room to grow. He had all he could ever hope for; popularity, prestrige, and a plump wallet to show. His heart was expansive. His charm overflowing. His mind just as endlessly open, although he never suspected he had a brother living on the other side. He attended a private school with boys just like him. Their dads were CEO's, doctors, professors, and they were the princes. 

The other brother, while equally loving, charsmatic, and bright, was held back by his socio-economic condition. He grew up not far from that westside firestation, in the home of a custodian who had great pride for his station. His father mopped the floors and the public school he attended. His father cleaned the stalls filled from wall to ceiling with rude offenses. His son tried hard to fight his disease. He loved his father, but his pride would give him no ease. 

On one chance occasion these boys did meet. 

Mauricio's Mexican Mini Mart on 5th street. 

It was the Prince's favorite place to getaway. A little place where he could rekindle his cultural idenity. 

There was a new vibe to the place. An air of renewal. This old brick store's peeling walls housed a new face. 

The Pauper's father, down on his luck, had injured himself and their income was stuck. The Pauper became the cashier of Mauricio's store and on his first day he became floored.

Looking at him right in eye was a boy with the very same design.

Looking at him, dressed in Raulph Lauren and Calvin Klien, was a boy who shared the same nose and ears and cheeks and mouth and the poor Pauper became overwhelmed.

The Prince was startled and he beseeched his brother, "Who are you? Did you know my mother?"

This spurred into a conversation about life and joys and sorrows that lasted from minutes to hours and stretched on for days. 

It is safe to that to this day they have never parted ways.