Number One Killer

Heart Disease is the leading cause of death in America in all genders. 

It penetrates your atriums, obliterates your aortas, and annihilates your artery’s. 

They say nothing sucks the life out of you like Death.

I guess the hooded, scythe holding figure has never heard of the agony of heartbreak. 

The gut wrenching, eye burning, muscle trembling ache of a broken heart is far worse than being left for dead by an MRI result. 

The scans can’t even see this kind of pain, it’s unequivocable to any pain scale chart.

“How would you rate your pain from sad face to happy face?”

Is the man frozen to the side of a cliff on the side of Everest clutching desperately for the last breath of life a face I can choose, doc?

But.

after that.

After all the tears have dried, after your fists decline to clench at the mere thought of her lips, that’s when the pain subsides.

When before not even the highest of narcotic could dull the spasms, now time heals all wounds

When before the disease had set in your heart just like the beforementioned number one killer. 

Now, She makes it okay. She makes this bearable.

Eyelashes that filter sunlight like diamonds, a laugh that can be heard through the ages.

Healthy isn’t even close enough of a rich term to describe how you feel. 

She holds you as you rock back and forth, sobbing when you’re not happy just existing.

Truly the only reason you exist now is because She saves you.

Shes your narcotic, the true cure to your killer disease.

When all you want is to slice your veins open, Shes there with a rage and cheek kisses to get you through those sweat soaked sheets.

Nights that had seemed like centuries before, now fly by as you stop concentrating on the pain and start seeing every heartbeat as a gift for her. 

You see your worth through Her eyes. 

You start to love yourself even a fraction of how She loves you and that’s more of a blessing than any priest could give you on your deathbed. 

You start to want to live. 

Your number one killer was heartbreak.

But your number one savior is Her.