My Life

Hola! My name is Naomi Tillie Verdun, I am a very adventurous outgoing girl, I am not scared to speak my mind or defend my morals, I have high hopes, and strong spiritual values. I cherish life and take every day as a blessing, and I would like to think that I am an individual that’s filled with diversity and an open outlook on the world. I have been blessed to be raised in a culturally diverse lifestyle. My mother is Latina, her family background originated in Spain. And my father is African American/ Creole; His ancestors derive from France. Traveling has always been a passion of mine, I love to explore the differences in the world and experience the beauty of different backgrounds and cultures.

But as diverse as my family is; they have had struggles too. My 14 year old sister Chloe was diagnosed with type one diabetes at the age of 5. It was hard to see her go through this battle at such a young age. She is one of the strongest people I know. Her pain has brought her strength and her strength makes me want to be stronger and do better for her so she can look up to me, and not only follow my footsteps, but do better than I have thus far. I remember her saying right after we walked out the doctor’s office when she first got diagnosed “am I going to die?” I was around 11 years old when she said that, and it struck me hard. Her life inspires me to push myself.  As Chloe and my youngest sister Hannah grow older I see a young lady and a little girl with a kind heart. Both of these girls look up to me. I love each of my sisters too much to mislead them. They deserve the best. I am their example. I am their role model.

Not only does Chloe have difficulties, my dad has Multiple Sclerosis. We found out that he was living with MS in 1999. I was young and naïve about all this back then. But now I have seen and realize how serious this illness is. Over the years I’ve seen a dramatic alter in him. It really does break my heart because I’ve seen him physically and mentally change. His MS affects him to the point where he has to obtain disability. Not only is he un-employed but my mother and him ended their 19 year marriage this year. These struggles have internally and externally pained my father. It’s hard to see someone you love diminish in such a way, there’s nothing I can do about my mother leaving him. But the one thing I can do is make him proud. My father continuously tells me all he wants to see me do is succeed, and I will. For him and for my younger sisters is why I continue my education. My family is my motivation.  

All these challenges in my family have opened my eyes in a different way than it would most people. I have seen the hardships that people have gone through; which causes me to have a reason to improve myself and help others in my life, not just my family but also others that are in need. My life isn’t perfect but it could be worse. So I have learned to appreciate what I do have and make the very best out of it. I have more drive now more than ever to overcome difficulties and thrive. I cannot fathom ever giving up. I am becoming more and more independent each day and learning how to provide for myself.  I understand the importance of education and where it can take me. I have matured immensely over the years and challenged myself academically. To me being successful is all about setting priorities and completing my goals one by one.

Going to college has only further enhanced my growth and maturity. I have chosen Journalism and Public Relations as my major. I love the field of Journalism and Public Relations because it deals with working by, with and for people; something I know I am good at and take pleasure in doing.  I would greatly enjoy the opportunity to intern with the U.S. Department of State as an addition to my curriculum as well as a beneficial experience to supplement my career. I feel like experiencing the world sheds new light onto old thoughts and traveling has the ability to open so many doors while reaping the benefits of new found knowledge.   

I plan to use my degree in many ways. One way I would use my education would be getting involved and working directly with my community environment. I am a people person and love to help out. I am involved with my church as a global outreach member – I’ve been to Mexico to build homes for the less fortunate with Leave a Little Room Foundation.  I have volunteered with many organizations; including LARASA which is the Latin American Research and Service Agency. I’m motivated, honest, and innovative. My reason for living is to travel, learn, network, and make a difference in the world as much as I can, please give me the chance and opportunity to do so. Thank You