It's Just Who I Am...

How does one act white?

Do I have to speak proper English and wear nice clothes? Do I have to get good grades and not cuss all the time?

If that's acting white, then yeah I guess I act white.

Why is it that in the black community we tear each other down based on frivolous and convoluted reasons and assumptions?

Yes, I went to high school. Just not the one down the street with all of the gang members and baby mommas as the students. 

I went to a school where the statistics would shock any black person from the "hood". 10% Black, 35% Asian, and 55% White. Yes, 55% white, how shocking. But, who cares! I made a name for myself there. I found myself there with the influence of everyone there no matter their color. But, because I went there, I am instantly classified as sell out, a white girl wannabe, an oreo. 

I am not classified for what I am nor what I believe in. To some in the black community, I am sellout for not "sticking to my roots". And what are my roots exactly? My roots do not included slang or big gold chains. Rather they include an educated group of strong Ghanaians, who have overcome several obstacles. 

Just because I say "are not" instead of "ain't" or because I do not listen to every and all black rappers does not make me a sell out.  When did a black person with a good education, nice clothes, and success carry a negative connotation?

By encouraging this convoluted idea of "acting white" and "oreos', we as the black community continue to feed the stereotypes created and presented by those who prejudiced us. We cannot say that we are a community of unity if we choose to divide and label each other based on one's personality, upbringing, and characteristics. We are all strong, no matter which walk of life we come from. As a community, we should not and cannot let this idea of "acting white" escalate any further than it already has. I will not stand to be further prejudiced by my community, will you? I love myself to much to be told who I can't be and who I am supposed to be.

I love me.

I love every part of me.

I love my dark, chocolatey skin.

I love my background.

I love my long, lanky limbs.

I love my dark brown eyes.

I love my laugh.

I love my walk and the way I talk.

I love my scars, the physical ones and the emotional ones.

I love my kinky hair.

I love my smile.

I love my mind and my heart.

I love my imperfections.

I love who I am and who I will become, no matter what society thinks of me.

I love me and no one can take that away from me.

Asantewaah

I'm thinkng about starting an activism, self-love series for my poems/rants. What do you guys think?