This Isn't A War

When you say "I love you" it is like a safety pin Though it might stab me at one point, I risk letting you in  It is said to keep me safe, reassured in your arms I didn't expect that your arms were the real cause of harm  Because love is a war and you just might be Hitler Because you just might be one of those soldiers who are only in it to be a winner  Affection is not a prize that is meant to be won It is a blessing given to both sides and we are no Gods  You can't look at me and see numbers or credit card passwords Or expect me to leave my friends simply because I call you "my whole world"  "I Love You" is not a free ticket or vip access into my pants It is not a consistency of meaningless one night stands  It is not an excuse for me to leave the world that I adore Because if you really meant "I Love You" you'd want me and nothing more  You'd hold me when I'm sad and tell me everything will be alright And you wouldn't keep me from going out with my friends on some nights  You're complete without me and I'm complete without you But with you by my side you help me shine brightest in a dark room  And when you're okay with being a fool to fall with no gold To fall for who I am instead of sticking to one version of my story that's been told  We stand for each other, because we're something worth falling for But your love is not something meant to keep me on the floor  We will let each other radiate like the light we really are Which is probably why we can't stand being apart with each passing hour  And when all else fails and you're afraid to let me go You'll know it was something worth losing, and our love was your favorite show  The safety pin shouldn't hurt us and that's simply the truth I wouldn't let it happen, and that's "because I love you."