I Love Me!

Dear Bully, 

Being different seems to always put a target on my back. Moving to America at a young age allowed me to grow up in the American way of life, yet I still felt different. I never thought that being different would cause any problems. However, other kids knew I was not like them. I looked different, talked different, and dressed different.

Dear Bully, 

This led to you coming up with the clever label: "African booty scratcher." When the teasing began, I did not understand what was going on as the class started repeating "African Booty Scratcher" and laughing at my ethnic background. At the time I did not know how to deal with the verbal insults and just kept my feelings to myself by trying to ignore the name calling. As I matured, I decided not to allow others' thoughts and opinions keep me from the best version of myself and personal success.

Dear Bully, 

I began to understand who I am and not let name-calling define me. As time went on, I love that I AM AN AFRICAN. I love that I am different from others. I am glad I have different values and beliefs, traditions, and ways of saying and doing things. I love and embrace that I am not like everyone else. People may have a problem with me being different, but that propels me forward in life.

Sincerely, 

Your Overcomer!