I Don't Believe In

I've never really believed in love because when I was younger I heard my dad say, "let's just stay together for the kids" behind closed doors, and my mom agreed with him for the first time in a long time                                                                                                                                                      Until years later when they agreed that staying together for the kids wasn't worth the misery

I've never really believed in love because when I was younger I asked my grandma how she met my grandpa but she didn't smile when she told the story                                                                          And she says sometimes she wishes she didn't marry so young

I've never really believed in love because when I was younger my other grandma left my grandpa and in turn he left himself sitting in his car in the middle of the railroad track                                             And he waited for the train to come and make him leave himself, too

I've never really believed in love because when I was younger my aunt stood at the alter of her wedding and was told by her fiance in front of everyone that he couldn't go through with it                     I know that to this day it keeps her awake at night

I've never really believed in love because from a young age I understood the concepts of loss and the emptiness that follows

I've never really believed in love but now I'm older and the day I met you my head was quiet and I didn't think about how I don't believe in love and I couldn't stop wanting to hear your laugh and I never knew what it was like to be important to someone until then and I couldn't focus on the voices coming from the radio because you sang the songs better than anyone ever could and I can still hear you singing and laughing and trying to tell jokes in between songs and I couldn't get myself to look away from your eyes because they changed with the sky and I was so fascinated and I don't need to go anywhere else in the world to know that you are the best person in it and since the day we met you've never left my head once and I just realized that                                                                                        I might believe in love