Hurricane

1. You came into my life like a hurricane. I didn’t think I needed to evacuate, but you left nothing but floodwaters in your wake. We barely spoke afterward except to act like it never happened.

2. Water damage can be insidious. Undetected moisture can cause damage long after it’s thought to have been fixed. According to the EPA, the first 24-48 hours are the most crucial when dealing with water damage.

3. When my doctor asked me about you, I told her that I didn’t know what to call us. I still don’t.

4. I tried to hold back at first because I didn’t want to get hurt–even to the point of lying to protect myself. But when I thought I could let down the dam, the waters were just as weak as before.

5. I was still afraid of getting hurt.

6. I am still afraid of getting hurt.

7. I didn’t realize I was taking on water until it was too late.

8. When we were together I was the happiest I had been since getting depression.

9. When you broke up with me it didn’t phase me for about four months.

10. When it finally hit me, it was like a kick in the chest and I couldn’t catch a single breath because

11. I didn’t realize I was taking on water until it was too late and

12. Undetected moisture can cause damage long after it’s thought to have been fixed.

13. Your New Year’s letter still makes me cry.

14. Your Valentine’s letter still makes me laugh.

15. That stuffed animal you got me still sits on my nightstand.

16. I still love you. And whenever I remember, I pray for you to be happy and safe and loved.

17. You were perfect for me, even if I wasn’t perfect for you.

18. You came into my life like a hurricane. I climbed onto my roof to feel the wind and rain, not realizing you’d seep into my veins and stay there long after you were gone.