Dreams of a Benchwarmer.

Sun, 11/10/2013 - 20:16 -- colej23

Playing Paul VI. Camden Catholic's biggest rival. Down 52-50 with 20 seconds remaining. Cole steps onto the court playing in his first playoff game. He rubs his hands along the back of his shoes to remove the dust and quickly squeaks his shoes. He's already sweating, having waited for this day for four long years. Skyman's Squadron is going crazy for their beloved 5 foot 4 inches of pure energy. Contained in those 5 feet and 4 inches is a recipe for success. One foot of junkyard dog, having been doubted all of his life because of his small stature. Another foot of pure passion, having loved this game ever since a ball was put into his hands. A third foot of hardwork, having worked his way back from a collarbone injury and overcoming the doubters. A fourth foot of pain, having been cut his sophomore year and not being able to attend the games because of his hate of watching his friends play, knowing he deserved to be out there as well. A fifth foot of love, love for his school, love for his friends and love for the game. And the last four inches were all about hunger. Hunger to win.  Hunger to hear the crowd go crazy. Hunger to silence everyone that ever doubted him. Hunger to prove to himself that he deserved this moment. Those 5 foot 4 inches of junkyard dog, passion, hardwork, pain, love and hunger all added to Cole's big moment. Cole brings the ball up the court knowing there isn't too much time on the clock. He runs the clock down to a mere five seconds. He hits his man with an in and out crossover and beats him. The defender recovers and Cole steps back behind the three point line. He hoists up a three pointer with the clock hitting zero simultaneously. The ball goes in, nothing but net, no rim, no backboard, no tip, no help. Just like his basketball training. He looked to the crowd and saw all of his friends going crazy, and his parents with a look of satisfaction on their face, while crying tears of joy. Then a jolt hit Cole, almost like he got hit by a bus. He woke up in a frenzy, confused and shaken. He then sadly realized that it was just another dream of a benchwarmer.