Desaturated

We live in a world where the differences between a single generation are only seen in black and white,
It's a world where the only thing to be proud of is the way in which people percieve you even if it isn't right,
Perceptions and impressions are key because riches and luxury never look like they may be tarnished,
Deception and depression seem to be the sad reality which leave immature cheeks wet with varnish,
A girl who grew up seeing love fell in love and was surely ridiculed for her breech in will power,
For some reason her love caused most others to feel disgusted and sour,
She couldn't quite understand why being hand in hand with someone who wasn't a man seemed to be so drastic,
At her young age she was yet to realize that even things like love and forever could be as cheap as plastic,
It's hard to comprehend that even if her feelings were surplus to the ones of heterosexual couples,
She had to dissemble herself to avoid causing a stir and to stay away from troubles,
A world where posters marketed promiscuity and sex between those of opposite gender,
Yet she couldn't and shouldn't fulfill her desire for affection for fear of where it would send her,
"Gay" was once a word that meant happy but now is used to degrade and defile,
Even the youngest of the scared and confused. . . It became okay to defile a child,
The generation which raised this girl would surely never understand why she "chooses" to be this way,
Though if it were left up to choice it wouldn't have been a choice she would have ever made,
No one desires to walk the street and be stared at and glared at and have comments directed towards them,
So why is it that no one can see that homosexuality isn't a choice and something that doesn't come from our own free whim?
Sadly this girl like many others still finds herself hidden away behind a curtain of sorts,
To avoid what society would have to say and the stories which they would distort,
Judgement is one of the harshest things that young people have to learn to accept,
Opinions of others if not in kind words should be opinions that aren't kept,
I am that girl who is still behind a curtain with the family which I reside,
This curtain is a choice which for fear of my freedom I will stand beside and behind,
I am scared that if I told them that they'd see me in a different way,
That maybe they would hate me and wouldn't want me to stay,
I've tried my hardest to be the daughter that I knew my dad would be proud of,
So why would I abandon this curtain and allow myself to be discredited and looked down on?
There may be a slim chance they'd accept me because our blood is blood we share,
But it doesn't work so kindly for all other families out there,
Who have little girls who are so confused and parents who don't understand,
That not every little girl dreams of one day marrying her dream man,
My family still thinks that I'm straight and I won't disturb that misconception,
They need not know the way I fall in love or desire attention and affection,
I can keep up a fake appearance so they will always be proud,
Because who I am, a lesbian, would surely never be allowed,

marlimurray

I was inspired to write this because I am the President of the Gay-Straight Alliance in my high school. Many people in my school are aware of my sexuality and accept me, it tends to be the older generation which frowns upon it. This enthralled me and I decided to see if I was the only teen who was scared that their parents wouldn't accept them, it turns out I'm not the only one. This is my point of view on why teens have a hard time coming out to their parents, and how it can cause them to put up a "curtain" so they won't be looked down on.