American Dream

I have a dream that one day race, socio-economic status, gender, religion, ability, or sexual orientation will no longer serve as obstacles to justice;

that every American, documented and undocumented, will be privy to a fair, unbiased trial; 

that my children will grow up in a more equitable legal system. 

This is the American Dream.

I have a dream that one day physical, mental or emotional ability will no longer predetermine one’s potential to succeed; 

that people like my bother will be able to enjoy the same professional and personal opportunities as a neuro-typical person; 

that my children will grow up in a world where onlookers do not lower their eyes and step back when they see a non-verbal boy flailing in a wheelchair or a girl born with one arm. 

This is the American Dream.

I have a dream that one day I will be able to marry the woman I love in whichever state I chose; 

that there will be no need to ‘come out’ because nobody will be presumed heterosexual until proven otherwise; 

that my children will feel free to love whomever they choose without having to face the discrimination, hate, or judgement that I did. 

This is the American Dream.